Saturday, May 15, 2010

Year 2: Week 1

So this year I've streamlined the garden significantly. I think last year I got so excited about planting that I wanted to cram as many plants as I could into that one bed. Unfortunately that didn't work out too well for the plants. I'm also trying companion gardening...planting plants together that are beneficial to each other ...and I'm trying out a new organic fish emulsion fertilizer. I have 2 yellow summer crookneck squash growing alongside 2 mint plants, and 4 tomato plants (Red Beefsteak Heirloom, German Queen Heirloom, Husky Red Cherry, and Sweet 100 Grape) growing with 2 Sweet Basil, and 3 rows of Big Top Carrots. Along the trellis I've seeded Kentucky Blue Pole Beans that should start to sprout any day now. I also seeded a Spacemaster Bush Cucumber that has already sprouted and has its first set of true leaves. At the end of the bed I've planted Mexican Marigolds. The Marigolds are supposed to attract beneficial insects like wasps, ladybugs, and lacewings that eat insects like aphids and squash beetles, and also repel some harmful insects and deer...though I can't figure out why the deer would fear a flower. The soil is mixed with my own compost and I've fertilized with an organic fish emulsion and I like to use coffee and tea grounds. Here's hoping for the best! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed. When can we do my garden? I hope its not too late!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do the deer fear all marigolds or just the mexican marigolds? I feel like if its just the Mexican, it might be racial profiling..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis, it's not too late, but we need to get it done soon. Mitzi, there are Mexican and french marigolds...the deer aren't scared of the french, but then again who is...har har!

    ReplyDelete