Friday, May 14, 2010

Hello Interwebs

So I'm a gardener...a pretty bad gardener...but I'm new to the world of seeds and soil and I'm learning. I'm also a relatively new homeowner, and much to the amazement of my family and in-laws I LOVE to take on home projects that I usually have no idea what I'm doing. I'm 28 years old, married for almost 2 years to my amazing wife, and have 2 dogs. I was raised in small town Savannah, TN but now live in the metropolis of Jackson, TN.
For whatever reason, last year, I got the itch to plant a garden. Maybe it's genetic. My grandparents always had a large garden when I was growing up. They used us grandchildren as cheap labor to help harvest the crops. I mainly remember picking beans, snapping beans, and shelling purple hulled peas.
I had recently found a small pocket notebook that my grandfather, who had passed away, used to draw out the plans for one of his gardens. He had a nice large piece of land that got plenty of sun. I have a strip of grass that goes along my drive way that floods from time to time. So I decided to build an above ground bed, plant my seeds, and hope and pray. I won't get into last year's garden...I'll just say I was a little over zealous. This year I have a year's experience behind me and a whole new spring and summer...so here goes nothing...

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had your grandad's notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shelled plenty of peas...women's work...psshh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the notebook last year in his truck when Dad and I were going to play golf one day. That's what originally got me into the gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never saw your fingers that purple color, just saying.

    ReplyDelete